Drivers license is one of the principal necessities for driving in nearly each country of the world. Drivers license procedure in Nigeria is the process for the issuance of drivers license. The FRSC, BIR and the VIO has a tripartite agreement in the production of different classes of drivers license in Nigeria.
What Are The Drivers License Procedure In Nigeria?
The followings are the drivers license process for the fresh applicants. Fresh applicants are those that are applying for drivers license for the first time.
- First, the applicant must not be less than 18 years of age or above 70 years
- Applicant must have to enroll for driving school training with an accredited driving school. But for the full list of accredited driving school, visit FRSC online homepage www.frsc.gov.ng. And click on Driving School Standardization Program (DSSP). While registering, the applicant will be require to provide certain useful information for proper online registration.
- The applicant have 26 sessions to complete. A leaners permit will be issued at a certain stage with an instructor for guidance while practicing driving. There are three stages of learners permit; the 1st issue, 2nd issue and 3rd issue. A leaner must always drive with an approved instructor.
- Upon completing the training, the applicant will present himself to be tested by VIO testing officer. If successful, a certificate of proficiency will be issued.
- After this stage the driving school completes the remaining processes. The certificate drops and subsequently, issued to the owner. Each certificate has a specific code for every applicant. Without the code, the drivers license form can not be processed.
- The applicant will visit www.nigeriadriverslicence.org to complete the application online. Or seek help from a cyber cafe. If still in need of help just visit any Drivers License Center of your choice for further assistance. Among the information required in the form are the; Personal Details which includes, first name, surname, middle name (some details will appear automatically after keying in your driving school certificate number of which can not be changed), next of kin phone number, Contact Address, Mailing Address, Processing Office Details, Signature and others.
- Next is to complete the application form online with all those relevant information. Then print out the application form.
- Payment of the prescribed fee for (3 years or 5 years) drivers license will be paid in the bank. Most banks process the payment (Applicants should note that online payments is possible in some states but ensure to print out the payment slip)
- Present the; payment slip, printed application form, driving school certificate, learner’s permit, certificate of proficiency, vision acuity test certificate to the Board of Internal Revenue (BIR)/ Motor Licensing Authority (MLA) to confirm the payment and for endorsement. The VIO testing officer also approves application for successful applicants showing class of license
- The successful applicants proceed to the FRSC section of the drivers license centre (DLC) for biometric capture
- After the physical capture, the DLC issues a temporary license which expires after 60 days
- Return to MLA to collect the printed license after 60 days.
Good to note that the unsuccessful applicants is allowed one month to improve knowledge and skill. And re-present self for re-evaluation.
Drivers License Process For Commercial
Commercial drivers license is a type of license issued to professional drivers. It has red strip unlike the private license with blue stripe. The commercial drivers license application procedure is similar to that of the normal drivers license except that
- The applicant must not be less than 26 years of age
- The applicant must first possess any of the other classes of drivers license but excluding class ‘J’
- Must be a member of a road-related professional association or possess a letter of employment as a driver
Visual Acuity Test
Visual acuity test is one of the necessary tests required for drivers license. This is because the eye is one of the sensory organs required for driving. The others are the ear, nose, skin and so on. Therefore it is mandatory that the eyes of any driver license applicant should be good enough to see. Both near and distant objects and should also be able to differentiate colours, road signs, road markings, observing road condition and also see other road users
But where there is impairment, corrective measures should be made through the use of recommended medical glasses and the use of glasses is captured in the applicant’s drivers license details.